Element with correct(?) selector is not recognized by Check App State

Hello, everyone!

I am reaching out to seek assistance with an automation issue that I have been trying to resolve, but I have run out of options. The problem lies with a selector that is no longer identified by the “Check App State” activity, which is causing the workflow to break. Specifically, the element in question is a dialog box that needs to be dismissed in order for the application to proceed.

The selector is referenced through a library, and it correctly identifies the element in both the original object repository (the library project) and my automation’s object repository. However, when I debug or run the automation, it consistently fails.

Interestingly, this automation had been working flawlessly for the past six months. It was initially built in version 2022.10 and recently broke in version 2023.x, despite not having made any changes to it since its creation.

I have searched for similar forum posts, but I have not found anything directly related to this specific problem. I hope that some of you can provide me with guidance and point me in the right direction, as I am completely lost.

Here is the element in the production application (it’s a desktop legacy app):

Below are screens from my automation:

And finally a screen from my library project:

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi @Ramiro


Give a try putting and * in the cls attribute and try again


Thanks for the reply, @fernando_zuluaga. I will give it a try right now.

I have an additional question to ensure I’m not making an operational mistake. When I update the selector in the library project, publish the library, and update it in my automation project, do all the workflows that utilize the newly updated objects get automatically updated?

Or do I need to manually drag those updated elements into their respective workflows again?

I appreciate your assistance.

Hi @Ramiro

If you are using that part of the workflow as library, you will need to publish and update the library in the project you are using it, if you refer to the object repository, am not sure but i believe that you will need to drag the new selector again in each activity that uses this


Hi @fernando_zuluaga,

I was referring to the object repository, and as a precaution, I dragged the updated object from the repository onto the “Check App State” activity in my automation once again.

However, unfortunately, it had no effect whatsoever. I appreciate your attempt to help, and please let me know if you have any further ideas. I’m completely stuck on this issue.

Thank you.

give a try mapping the selector again, mark just the strict selector and fuzzy selector just that 2 options,
Also it is a good idea to create a test secuence just to test the selector until you make it success, once it works then pass the selector to the activities

also please make sure that your use application/browser activity has the input method as Simulate


After following the provided instructions, some progress has been made!

I created a separate sequence in a separate XAML file specifically for testing purposes. Initially, I only included the “Check App State” activity, and in the “Target Appear” option, I added a click on “OK”. However, it did not work. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Next, I added a “Use Application/Browser” activity and placed the previous sequence inside it. I changed the input mode to “Simulate,” and miraculously, the element detection started working. I kept the click activity with the “Hardware Events” option since the click does not function with the “Simulate” input method.

I appreciate the progress made so far, @fernando_zuluaga!

Now, my challenge is transferring this successful snippet to my actual project. I have already attempted it, but unfortunately, it failed :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

I’ll dig into it tomorrow first thing. Thanks for the help once again. You managed to break me free from the quicksand, metaphorically speaking.


now, you can replace the activity check app state, for the test secuence activity, put the simulate in the check app browser activity, make sure that all the properties are the same and give a try


Hello all,
Just to summarize the solution to this post after selecting the ‘cls’ attribute as “cls=‘*’” and also using input mode as ‘Simulate’ I was able to overcome the problem.

And again many thanks to @fernando_zuluaga

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.