Edit Specific Data for a Queue Item

@loginerror , i am always getting a 400 Response , Bad Request for PUT Queueitems({id})
What could be the reason? How to check the permissions?
Is this operation available? Because i don’t see the same mentioned in documentation
https://docs.uipath.com/orchestrator/v2020.4/reference#permissions-per-endpoint

1 Like

Hi @ArpanSur

You can always try to inspect your Network tab in your browser while editing a queue item in Orchestrator to see how the API call looks like:

You could then use that extra info to try and debug your PUT API call.

Hi @loginerror

From where do we View/Set the permissions to API User? What is the best practice around this? I am trying to modify Queue Item using API.

@ArpanSur
Try this Guide:

You can’t edit a transaction item’s SpecificContent (“data”).

But why not? Maybe there is a {placeholder} within the Specific Content (“data”) and the Automation is updating that placeholder with true value, then why should that not be updated and reflected in the Transaction…? Seems like that should be a feature or a capability…

Editing an item’s specific data is possible since 19.4 via Orchestrator UI and API.

1 Like

Yes, I know that, but thought what was being discussed is the ability to edit or update the Specific Data from within an Activity as the Automation is processing the Transaction. As the original poster identified scenarios to where that information is changing within the Process and therefore would be optimal to reflect those changes within the Transaction Data itself. For my needs, I was able to utilize the “Output Data” property of the “Set Transaction Status”, but still think it would be optimal to have an Activity that could update “Specific Content”.

3 Likes

@Tudor_Sandu

1 Like

Looks like that one slipped through the cracks. We’ll look into creating a dedicated activity for editing queue items.

6 Likes

Great news! I have managed to update the specific data for a queue item with Orchestrator HTTP Request, but it does not let you update In Progress queue items, only New, Successful or Failed items. It would be nice to be able to update the data dynamically while you process a transaction item.

Thanks for all the great work

3 Likes

This is by design.

Is there a specific reason for this?

If I had to guess: When a transaction item is “In Progress”, its data is copied (in memory) on the robot that retrieved said transaction item. Which means, changing it in Orchestrator wouldn’t reflect the change on the transaction item on the robot.

1 Like

Fair enough from that point of view. But for example if I want to clone my transaction item or if I want to defer it, I would like to modify the data/add new fields as I go through. Or for example if I perform a check in a system which takes 20 minutes and it fails on the last step, I would like to have a clear view in the specific data that the check was performed, etc

Exactly.

@bnastase changing the data in orchestrator won’t help because as @JCaravaca said changing the data in Orchestrator wouldn’t reflect the change on the transaction item on the robot.

Also, if you want have a clear view on the data that was performed why change it? Eventually log steps in the Progress field.

1 Like

Ok, I get that but I would still like to log new specific data in my queue item for when:

1. I postpone the item (it clones it)
  2. System exception with retry

The “Progress” field would make sense but I can’t seem to be able to retrieve it with queueItemVariable.Progress.

For example if I perform a paid check through an API I don’t want to lose that information

Does it appear in the UI after you set it? This might be an issue then. Open a new topic or contact support. Note that the progress field is plain string.

1 Like

I am struggling to find the Progress field in the queue item, I am pretty sure I have seen it before. Where exactly is it?

Never mind I have found it, It disappears when I postpone the current item and the status is changed back to “New”…

Do you mean 19.10? We are currently on 19.4 and I wasn’t able to find the API documentation to update a QueueItem. Currently we are deleting a QueueItem and re-adding with relevant changes. (See images)

Best,
Sonny

1 Like