Download results from SAP

sap
download

What is the use case

Custom activity to download results of reports from SAP.
For the automation that includes SAP, we often need to extract results from SAP into files.
Currently we need to go to menu System -> List -> Save as, and then select type of file (text, excel, html, etc.) from a pop-up screen, then specify file path and file name in another pop-up screen, and confirm.
It would be great if we have an custom activity to manage all these steps.

How do you see a solution for the use case?

Pre-defined activity to extract output from SAP, with options for file type, file path, file name.
The activity to work similar to menu System -> List -> Save as in SAP

Scope: ______________

• Custom Activity
  • Reusable Component

We have a shared component for Exporting the tables from SAP, but it was built internally for our own dev team.
I don’t see how this could be as a Custom activity though because it requires a sequence of actions by the mouse and keyboard, unless there’s a way to script those actions without selecting Export, file type, et cetera. It would be interesting if this could happen though.

You can record those steps easily. For me, recording at some point failed, so I needed to kill SAP and save partial sequence. Then, the rest do manually activity by activity.

Also, you can modify SAP GUI setting to change default folder where files are downloaded.

There are some tricky use-cases, where you just need to use “trial and error”, like if you are exporting PDF from spool requests, then below window is displayed and path might be browsed. Or, what I figured out recently, you can type in File name field file name with the path (string), and it will be stored where exactly you need.