Document Understanding: Document Splitting and Other Wonderful Stories :)

Wow! @Ioana_Gligan and team! Great update. I am looking forward to trying this out. I love the addition of being able to use custom OCR activities.

Do we need to have a Document Understanding API key in order to use the Intelligent Keyword Classifier? Or can we keep that on our local PC without an API key?

2 Likes

Hello @oscar,

You need to use the cloud DU key , for tracking purposes only. No documents leave your premises, and no data about your processes.

2 Likes

Wow… awesome features!!!

I already tried out some of these lateat features and looks amazing… Exploring more and for sure will share the feedback… I always wanted to see more features in the DU package… and this is exactly what I wanted to see… Awesome work guys…

You guys are like magicians :tophat:

1 Like

Hello @ab83665 (Andrzej) ,

and Welcome to the Forum!

Polish is not on the list of supported languages AFAIK. It would be great if you would actually try it out and see if it gives any results…

A custom trained model would probably work best in your case…

Ioana

Thank you for answering, @Ioana_Gligan

I do agree that custom trained model might be my best best, as unfortunately invoces are not structured enough for Regex extraction. However, is it possible to use own models in Studio UiPath version?

Still I would like to try testing the pre-trained models first - is there any documentation regarding them availible to see what possible fields are there to extract or perhaps how the model was even built?

Thank you for your answer,
Andrzej

Hello, I’m a total beginner and want to test whether I’m able to use OCR for extracting data from orders. Now I wonder which OCR “program” I should use for this purpose. I’ve seen a video where apparently they used Google OCR. But I cannot find Google OCR in Studio nor in the “packages” for free download. I therefore installed UI Path OCR (Document and Screen) and was then told I need an ApiKey. I copied it but got the message “compiler fault” and in German: “Ausdrucksende erwartet”. No idea what that means. So, I resume that I cannot use this program. What should I do now to find an easy accessible easy to use free OCR program to test my abilties?

You can use Microsoft OCR or Tesserat OCR

You will use UI Automation package : 20.4.2 version

1 Like

Thank you! I found it.

Hello Friends,

If you want to see this in action, let’s meet online tomorrow!

(apologies for the last minute announcement :last_quarter_moon_with_face: )

Ioana

@ab83665,

All you need to do is just use the public pre-trained model with the endpoint https://invoices.uipath.com - with a Document Understanding ApiKey from the Cloud platform. And you can use the ML Extractor - it is open for community as long as you process at most 2 pages per document and at most 50 documents per hour.

Hope this helps,

Ioana

1 Like

Hi @Ioana_Gligan! Why is there no option of UiPath Screen OCR in form extractors? UiPath screen OCR works really well on images, native or even scanned…
Do we have only receipts and invoices in ml extractor for document understanding? How do we handle other documents using ML extractor?

Hi Ioana,

Is there a cost associated with using the Intelligent Keyword Classifier?

Thanks
Davendra

Hello Everyone,

I am new to document understanding and trying to understand the framework. I developed one XAML file to extract invoice# from amazon invoice using regex-based extractor but for some reason, it is not extracting even after trying multiple times.

Could anyone of you look at the attached XAML file and suggest any solution. The file should already have a sample invoice.

Thanks ,
Rishi

Document_Understanding.7z (82.4 KB)

Hi @shetanshudhar: You can use UiPath Document OCR with Form Extractor. UiPath Screen OCR is meant to be used for Screen Scraping tasks.

1 Like

Hello @davendra,

No cost associated with it as of now. ApiKey checks are being performed though, and some limitations might be enforced for community keys only. The definitive structure in which it will be officially published (now it is in preview) will be finalized in a couple of months.

ioana

1 Like

Hello!
I’m start using Document Understanding. It’s awesome! But had a doubt on a specific scenario:
If I have 1 scanned PDF that contains 2 different Docum Types on It from which I would like to classify them and then, apply 2 different Form Extractor (for example) - What shoudl be logic workflow?
What will be the best approach on using the Document Splitting? (What activities should be comibned and how?).
Hope you can shed some light on It. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!
Gaston.-

Hi @GNISH, I’m not sure how familiar you are with DU, but the general steps would be:

1. Use Digitize Document to obtain the text and DOM.
  2. Use the previous results in a Classify Document Scope with Intelligent Keyword Classifier. You can use the design time wizard (Manage Learning) from the Intelligent Keyword Classifier to do some preliminary training so that it knows what each of the document types looks like.
  3. Use the classification results from step 2 in a Data Extraction Scope.

Hi @tudor.serban, Thanks for the reply and suggestion! :slight_smile: It was very useful.
I tried with the Intelligent Keyword Classifier and It worked with some additional actions:

I couldn’t use the “raw” PDF for the preliminary training as the original PDF contained both DocumentTypesId that I’m looking for… So, I had to split It in order to do pass It to the Intelligent Keyword Classifier for training.
Then, when I process the original PDF, It was able to classify and split the PDF into 2 separate DocumentTypeId, and be ready for the Form Template extractor.

1 Like

@GNISHI: Glad to hear that. Alternatively, you could still use the original document for training without splitting it in the following way: digitize the document and then use the Present Classification Station activity to select the page ranges and corresponding document types. Save the result and pass it to a Train Classifiers Scope with Intelligent Keyword Classifier Trainer. You can then classify and split subsequent documents after this point.

2 Likes

That was great , i did a POC on that :slight_smile:

1 Like