Copy/Moving Files not working - permissons issue?

Hi all, I can’t move or copy files on my laptop using the same named functions in Ui Path and I’ve just tried loading an image and get the same sort of error message I get when trying to copy or move files. I’ve included a couple of screenshots with the full error msg text, in case somebody recognises what the fundamental issue as to why I can’t carry out these actions. I’ve tried moving excel/txt/word files from various locations to and from folders etc

Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks,
Jordan

1 Like

Hi

Can you provide the path which u have provided in the move file activity ? This error Usually occurs if the path contains any not supported characters or if the index of the : in your path is at the third position

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. For the move file, I have tried “‪C:\Users\p10495862\Documents\UiPath\RoboCop_SES-Library\names.xlsx” and “C:\Users\p10495862\Desktop\Newfolder\names.xlsx”, if that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @jordrowley,
Move file Activity not working for you?

1 Like

Hey Vahisht,

Move file or copy file don’t work when I try and move or copy files from my laptop to either other locations on my laptop or locations on shared drives.

1 Like

Hi

Thanks for the reply , If you are able to access the file Manually, then robot will also be able to access it .

can u share the screenshot of the Move File Activity which is there in the code??

1 Like

Hi @jordrowley - Do you have access to the path where you would want to move the file?

Thanks,
AK

1 Like

Hey Vish, I’m not quite sure what you mean. Here is my xmal if it helps? OCR_ImageText.xaml (4.8 KB)

1 Like

Hi AK, yes. It could be (for example) that I just create a new folder on my desktop and put the file in there or in to a path containing Ui Path xaml’s that’ve I’ve created previously. All places that I have access too :slight_smile:
Thank you

1 Like

Hi
OCR_ImageText.xaml (4.8 KB)

You dont need to specify the complete file path in the destination folder, you can just specify the path of the folder to which the source file has to be moved. you can ignore the filename in destination folder

Only for the copy File, u have to provide the complete path in the destination.

can u please check the attached xaml file ?

Source : “‪C:\Users\p10495862\Desktop\Practice files\names.xlsx”
Destination : “‪C:\Users\p10495862\Desktop\Newfolder”

2 Likes

Hi @jordrowley

Try to run the uipath studio as administrator just a try!

cheers

Hi @vishnuvarthanp, I’m afraid that doesn’t work either (thank you for the suggestion). Other people in the office can use the move file function, it just seems to be my laptop.

Also tried running Ui Path as an admin but that doesn’t work either.

2 Likes

The new file name you are creating does contain any slash like(,/)?
Try to create the file manually by that name and then try with the bot.

1 Like

Hi Vishisht, sorry it’s taken me so long to reply. I have tried a variety of filenames using different characters and still get the same error message I’m :frowning: thank you for the suggestion though

1 Like