Copy file to folder - wildcard question

Hi,

I am trying to copy a file to the following location:

\…+var1.ToString+“*”.…+“.xlsx”
value var1=9200

The … do not matter, its just a lot of path text.
The issue is I want to copy my file to following location: \…\9200XYZ.…xlsx
XYZ can be any value. That’s why in my code I am using “*” as wildcard. However it does not seem to work.
What can be the issue?

Thanks

1 Like

You can only use a wildcard when reading from a file that’s in a location that can vary. Right now the robot has no clue where to save the file, as you didn’t give it a specific value. Instead of the wildcard you can add in another variable to define the location, or use something static.

1 Like

Hi @yannip

You have to read the Path of the file that you want to copy, and save it in a variable for be able to use it after, in the next steps of your process.

Also you can replace the text of the Path, I mean, if you have C:/…/XYZ.xlsx and you want to change the XYZ.xlsx for other excel file, replace the /XYZ.xlsx of the path for the new excel file or whatever you need.

PD: Moreover, as you said, the wildcard is correct, but like @evangemert said, “You can only use a wildcard when reading from a file that’s in a location that can vary. Right now the robot has no clue where to save the file, as you didn’t give it a specific value.”

Bests,
Pablo

2 Likes

@Pablo_Sanchez

Thanks, I will try to define a variable for it.

@evangemert,

Thanks as well for the quick and clear reaction. Wish it was that easy as i was thinking :slight_smile:

1 Like