Confusing about Unattended Robot license 'Concurrent RunTime'

Hello ClaytonM,

Thank you for you sharing. Can you please give me more detail about below? Is it mean I requires to purchase 3 unattended license, each license for 1 robot and 1 runtime per machine?

@Ekkanan_Nanthachin

Refere this Image

If you using windows 7/10 in that case 3 unattended licenses for robot and 3 machines.
If you using windows Server in this case 1 unattended licenses for robot and 1 machine.

Correct me someone if i’m wrong
Thanks

3 Likes

That’s almost correct @Ekkanan_Nanthachin
It’s 1 runtime per 1 unattended robot license.
If you have 3 robots on 1 machine, you can have 3 runtimes on that machine. If you have 2 robots on 1 machine and 1 robot on a 2nd machine, then you can have 2 runtimes on 1 machine and 1 runtime on the other, with in total 3 runtimes for 3 robots. And, if you have 1 robot on 1 machine, 1 robot on a 2nd, and 1 robot on a 3rd, then you have 1 runtime on each machine. So, it depends on how you provision your robots.

You can also set it to have less runtimes even though you have more robots. For example, if you have 3 robots on a machine but set a runtime of 2 on that machine, then only 2 out of the 3 can run at the same time. So, make sure you also verify the runtime settings are what you want. - I don’t believe the license will restrict the runtimes separate from the unattended robots you have, so if you purchase 3 licenses you get the 3 available runtimes with it.

I hope that clarifies it better. And, also, I don’t really work with sales on making these purchases, so this is strictly from my experience of configuring Orchestrator, the Server, and the Robots.

Regards.

2 Likes

Thank you for your help @ClaytonM

Thanks for explenation. For clarification: If I have a "UiPath - Unattended Robot - Concurrent Runtime X 2 " licence it is possible to share than over multiple windows server. But in this case only 2 robot can run the same time?
Means I can have:

• Server 1 with Roboter A and B
  • Server 2 with Roboter C
  • Server 3 with Roboter D, E

With my licence only two robots can work on the same time? Or do I understand this wrong?

Hi @Stephu

Your understanding is correct. It is quite flexible.

Badly at the moment the automatic switching of licences is not working. Licences will not be released from roboter if he finishes his work.

Hi @Stephu

I was understand like you. However, I’ve got reply from UiPath that the license will be release once the machine disconnected from Orchestrator. That’s mean, the admin have to manually disconnect the robot from Orchestrator or Shutdown the machine.

Thanks for your answer. I also created a support ticket. The actual behavior is not what I expect from concurrent runtime and does not make sense. UiPath please change this ASAP!

Hi @Stephu

Since 2018.4, it is possible to disable your Machine in the context of license consumption directly from Orchestrator.

Please see here:

Thanks for your answer but that’s what I need. From “concurrent runtime” I expect that this works automatically

I have for example:

• Server 0 with Orchestrator
  • Server 1 with Roboter A
  • Server 2 with Roboter B
  • Server 3 with Roboter C

Now I like to schedule jobs (1 jobs takes less than 5 minutes) in the orchestrator. For example

• Jobs for roboter A on server 1 at 05:00 09:00 and 12:00
  • Jobs for roboter B on server 2 at 06:00 10:00 and 13:00
  • Jobs for roboter C on server 3 at 07:00 11:00 and 14:00

I do not like to login to orchestrator to deactivate or activated licenses each day.

I believe the current limitation of the Orchestrator is that it doesn’t allow you to dynamically switch off a machine and free up your license. This might be considered for future releases, as you could just as well create a robot that will handle that for you.

The concurrent license strength comes from the fact that it will dynamically assign licenses to as many robots setup on a machine as you set runtimes for this machine.

In this example and with 2 licenses (thus 2 runtimes), and assuming you will enable first Machine 1, then 2 then 3:
Machine 1 with 2 robots (high density) - 1 runtimes
Machine 2 with 1 robot - 1 runtime
Machine 3 with 2 robots (high density) - 2 runtimes

Then:
Machine 1 will use 1 runtime/license and have 1 robot running
Machine 2 will use 1 runtime/license and have 1 robot running
Machine 3 will wait for runtimes to become available.

I have never done this myself, but you could probably use 1 robot license to handle managing your machines and licenses in Orchestrator and the other one to run your processes on each machine.

2 Likes

The whole story for short:

When you are searching that concurrent runtimes mean you will get a lot of information:

Stackoverflow:

UiPath - Unattended Robot - Concurrent Runtime
Concurrent licenses are available ONLY in the case of Orchestrator scenario. 1 active runtime, unlimited users and workstations defined. Unattended Concurrent Runtime License - the No. of Unattended Concurrent Runtime licenses purchased equals the maximum number of unattended robots that are able to execute back office processes simultaneously, regardless of the number of users and machines defined in Orchestrator.

UiPath
https://orchestrator.uipath.com/docs/about-licensing:

Concurrent Runtime

This type of license is only used with Unattended and NonProduction Robots.

In this model of licensing, we count the maximum number of Unattended or NonProduction Robots that are able to execute processes simultaneously.

When online and connected to Orchestrator, a machine consumes a number of licenses equal to its runtime capacity. The runtime represents the maximum number of Robots that can simultaneously run on a specific machine and it is manually customizable.

A Windows workstation can run only one process at a time, and therefore it is recommended to assign only one runtime to it.

A Windows Server machine can have more Robots executing processes simultaneously, and therefore you can assign more runtimes to it.

Note:

Please note that it is possible to have more Robots defined on a machine than the number of runtimes allocated to that machine.

Result:
There are lot of information, but is is not clear that this concurrent runtime works only on same machine. This means if you have concurrent runtime of 2 and you have 3 servers the last server which starts never gets this licence automatically (also in the case no robot is running on the first two servers). You can release a licence inside orchestrator but this is no solution in the case the jobs are running automatically from orchestrator sheduling.

–> The only way was to create multiple users on one server with High-Density-Robot.

1 Like

So The conclusion from this discussion is UiPath Orchestrator at this moment cant dynamically switch the unantteded license to diffrent servers.
It only meant to be used in high density windows server with multiple runtimes.

how about if the scenario is 1 physical server with multiple VM ?

thanks
tommy (pt-ngw.com)

Hi, @Rashmi

Thank you for your post.

Could you please provide the source url of the image you posted. It is super useful and would like to be informed about infographics of other types of licenses.

Best regards,

The limitation is not from physical server. It also not works on vm’s.

thanks stephu. will uipath provide features in new release that allows orchestrator dynamically disable/enable robots ? it will help customer a lot.

1 Like

according my information from uipath this feature will come at the end of 2020 and not earlier.

Hello,

It would be very useful if it functioned as a “license pool” where the robot, wherever it was started, consumed one of the licenses at the time of startup.

Exemple : A team of 10 front office users sometimes using assistant robots. Currently, they cannot share 5 licenses across all their desktops.

Am I right ?

Thank you

You can handle this by getting Concurrent User Attended robot license and the Orchestrator (because you can only get Concurrent User License with the Orchestrator).
Then you can install Attended Robot on all 10 Front Office users, but they can only use the robot if the license is available.

When you install Attended Robot, you need to install Robot Service as User Mode, so when one of your team member closes Robot Agent (the user interface) one Robot license will free up.
If there is no free license they will get an error looking like this: