Coding in C# instead of VB.Net

As a developer, I find it easier (and more productive) to code using C#.
This might be considered only as my opinion, but I think I’m not alone on this subject right? :wink:

Is there a way of coding the activities using C# instead of VB?
Do the UiPath team consider adopting this language in the future?

6 Likes

Coding activities can be definitely done using C#: UiPath · GitHub
Coding within the workflow (writing expressions in properties) can be done only in VB.NET. This is a Workflow Foundation limitation. We’re going to introduce the Code Activity and there you’ll have C# as an option.

28 Likes

It is not a Workflow Foundation Limitation. Since .Net 4.5 it is possible to use C# expressions in WWF as apoosed to VB.Net
I would love to see UiPath use C# expressions.
Building C# expressions support and IntelliSense in the rehosted workflow designer | Microsoft Learn

Since UiPath is now .Net 4.6, is there a way to maybe get this activated?

13 Likes

Any response from UIPath ?

4 Likes

This is a nice to have but we have other priorities so we’ll investigate when we have time.

1. Basically who can code in C# can do it in VB too
  2. You will end-up with workflows mixing C# and VB.NET. Our tool is already too flexible.
7 Likes

Please have a look at this article

I agree that both languages make use of the .Net platform but their syntax is different.
I think it is safe to say that C# is more popular than VB. C# popularity is growing as apposed to VB declining

Maybe UiPath can have an option for the user to choose the language based on Roslyn compiler…

10 Likes

Can we use C# code instead of VB Code in Invoke Code Activity ?

3 Likes

Hi Charu,

You can only use VB code inside Invoke Code activity:
https://activities.uipath.com/docs/invoke-invoke-code

4 Likes

Will you integrate this functionality in 2018 maybe? It would mean building over .Net 4.5 minimum tho

1 Like

From Studio software requirements:

.NET Framework

minimum: 4.5.2
recommended: 4.6.1

So that wouldn’t even be a change.

4 Likes

Building the actual studio over it. Not sure what your case is, but I haven’t a version of UiPath Studio that wasn’t built on top of .Net 4.0 so far.

1 Like

A large number of developers want C# as their coding environment. It is not a question of whether they can code in VB as well or not. A large number of C# developers know C, F#, and some even know COBOL. That does not mean that those are the languages they want to use to code for UIPath Solutions. The choice is clear and it is C#.

UIPath should not be defensive about the current limitation and clearly state by when C# would be available as an option.

10 Likes

Microsoft Workflow Foundation is open source and hosted on Github. When UiPath forked an older version without C# support and don’t use the newest Microsoft version, then there is a chance that C# will be never available.

1 Like

I agree with this idea. It only takes a quick google search to find out that VB.net is a dying language. Nobody uses it. Having a platform built on a dead language doesn’t seem like a good idea, so Invoke code (and most of the rest of uipath) should be in c#. I also think powershell should be an option in invoke code since I find the invoke powershell activity inadequate for more complex script writing (I’m not interested in writing external scripts with external tools, UiPath should handle it so everything can live natively in my workflow)

4 Likes

“U’ll never walk alone!”
Hahaha!

1 Like

19.1 when we’ll switch to .NET 4.6.

12 Likes

So Badita, can we expect the C# coding support option in 19.xx version?

1 Like

Yes.

13 Likes

VB.net is awful, the syntax is way too unnecessarily complex, and I can’t seem to find any useful tutorials or forums to learn.

3 Likes

Haha same here,
Its like every time I write the code in C# and use the converter (http://converter.telerik.com) to convert to VB.Net and use in UiPath.

15 Likes