Code promotion across Orchestrator tenants

Hi,

I am using a licensed (non-CE) 2017.1 version of the UiPath platform. Our IT team would like to have completely separate instances of Orchestrator for dev/test/prod environments. As such, we were planning on having one server with dev/test as separate tenants in orchestrator, and a completely separate server for production only. We haven’t had the product for very long, but are trying to figure out how to promote the code from the dev tenant to the test tenant, and have not yet found a way to do so.

Ideally, we’d like to have the developer publish to orchestrator, then have it reviewed (by a separate person), then push it to the test environment for QA. I’ve looked through all the documentation at https://orchestrator.uipath.com/ and can’t seem to find this anywhere. Is this even possible using Orchestrator? Would it be possible to utilize SVN for the promotion to test/prod instead?

Could someone respond to this post from Oct 2017? I have the same question on how to move code between tenants and across Orchestrator instances.

1 Like

We haven’t found a great solution yet. It’s almost 100% manual.

We changed the studio settings to save the project package locally. This package is uploaded to our version control system (we use SVN). This package is then manually uploaded to the test Orchestrator environment and used for UAT. If all goes well, the same version of the package is pulled again from SVN and manually uploaded to the prod environment - note that developers don’t have access to the prod environment.

It looks fairly similar to the diagram shown in the best practices guide as seen in the below image. Let me know if you or anyone can think of a better or more automated way of moving/deploying code.

3 Likes

Interesting execution.

I know it’s possible to automate your Package upload by simply running a file copy of the package and moving it to the NuGet folder in the Orchestrator folder. However, this requires some access to that folder. And, also after still requires the Update to the Process.

From the sound of it, UiPath might be looking at more streamlined version control. But I’m just guessing… or hoping.

“note that developers don’t have access to the prod environment.”
Seems there could be advantages to this, but that would worry me since there is no testing done on the Prod Server… unless the Environments will be 100% exactly the same all the time and UiPath functions with no problems regardless of server and user id being used. Or that the developments are standardized to perfection at catching every problem that arises. I give props to your IT Server Admins if it works well :slight_smile:

Regards.

C

As of know you will receive 3 codes. One for dev, one for test and one for production.
In the future we’ll try to unify with a licensing server.