What are the troubleshooting procedures With respect to Chrome Extension related issues?
Refer to below steps:
- Make sure Chrome Extension is installed and enabled.
- Check that all the steps from the troubleshooting guide were performed: https://studio.uipath.com/docs/chrome-extension
- Make sure only one Chrome installation (there are cases when both Chrome and Chrome Beta are installed and this can cause issues)
- If multiple Chrome Profiles, then make sure Chrome extension is available for all the profiles
- Try to manually install the extension (NOT from Chrome Store) and see if the issue is still reproducing. For details on how to install check the following page: Chrome extension
Issue 1:- If DPI setting is 125% then the element position indicated by UiPath is away from actual element position. For example, if text box is used for type into activity then UiPath will show element position above or below the actual text box position.
Impacted versions : 2018.1.x and below
Work-around :- Change the dpi setting to anything other than 125% and restart the machine. Follow below steps in windows 10 to change the settings:
Right Click on blank area on desktop
Click on display settings
Under Scale and Layout → Change the size of text, apps and other items → Change the drop-down value to anything other than 125%
Issue 2:- While indicating elements on chrome UiPath throws error "Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call COM component" .
Impacted versions: 2018.1.x and below
- Scenario 1: Chrome extension fails to load properly if there are more than one windows (not tabs) are opened and try to indicate the element.
- Scenario 2: Chrome extension fails to load if any other tool is integrated with chrome and launches whenever first window of chrome is opened.
- Click on UiPath Extension → Manage Extension → Turn on Developer mode (On Top Right Corner)
- Under Inspect Views → Click on Background page hyperlink. It will open a new window.
- If there are any error reported here then the extension did not load properly.
If not loaded properly then re-open chrome.
Issue 3: Chrome extension icon is grayed out or doesn't show in general.
Impacted versions: All
Work-around: This happens when ChromeNativeMessaging.Exe is missing from Task Manager. To fix this, please make sure your registry contains the correct values and files:
Check the Registry Editor – the solution
Open the Registry Editor. Use the following key combination Windows key + R to open the Run command and type regedit.
Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts\com.uipath.chromenativemsg
The Default REG_SZ value points to a JSON file (in my case C:\Users\PC1\AppData\Local\UiPath\crx_manifest.json).
Open the file with Notepad and verify 2 things:
First, check the path property. The path should exist and point to the ChromeNativeMessaging.exe application. (in my case C:\Program Files (x86)\UiPath\Studio\UiPath\BrowserExtension)
Second, check the chrome-extension number under the allowed_origins property matches the ID of the Chrome extension. (in my case this was the issue. The chrome-extension number didn’t match the extension ID. After I replaced the value with the correct one, the UiPath extension started working. You can check the Task Manager again. This time the Chrome Native Messaging process was up and running.)