We are getting “UiPath.Core.BrowserOperationException: Cannot communicate with the browser, please check the UiPath extension” error every time we open a chrome using Open Browser activity. Fun part is that it actually works every second or third time - as we have set retry for 3 times on the timeout. However it is not a solution (opening browser is the most frequent activity) as the workflow extends from 2 hours to 6. Is there a fix we could apply. We tried reinstalling extension, restarting everything etc.
Chrome version is: Version 73.0.3683.103 (Official Build) (64-bit)
OS Windows Server 2019 Datacenter
Anyone came across this issue