Can we schedule a login/sign in to virtual machine in uipath from uipath robot?

In Blue prism, we can schedule a login to a virtual machine with Login agent and the trigger for the login can be sent from a different virtual machine. Can we login to a virtual machine in uipath from uipath robot by giving trigger from the orchestrator?

2 Likes

Is there any response to this?

Hi @Pranav_Nikam @martalopes

This is exactly what Orchestrator is built for :slight_smile: It allows you to schedule and run processes on virtual machines.

Hi all,

This is a very good question and it is not very clear for me.

So when you schedule a process to run on a VM, if the VM is locked, will the orchestrator log into the machine automatically?

Blue Prism have the login agent that will log on the machine and the execution of the process can continue.

Hi,

Talking about that, how can we do for the first connexion on the VM ?
I mean when I powered on the VM it start automatically with UiPath open for connecting the robot BUT if no one connect to the VM first with RDP orchestrator doesn’t see the VM online…

How can we made the first connexion to the VM without human ?

Hey @bogdan.nastase,

To answer shortly, yes - it will automatically login to the machine.

When you define the robot, you will need to enter the credentials of the account on the machine as well. That is how the robot is signing into the machine. After you schedule the time, it will automatically login and execute the process.

For BP, I believe you will have to schedule 2 things (do correct me if I’m wrong):
(1) Login agent
(2) The process
The login step using a login agent, is not required in this case.

You can try using the Community Orchestrator where it provides 1 unattended robot for trial. You’ll be able to try schedule and login with it. Hope the explanation is clear!

2 Likes

@Nisa Thanks so much!

1 Like

Building on top of @Nisa’s great answer, and to answer @Ludo.F additional question:

How can we made the first connexion to the VM without human ?

It is possible to configure your Robot on the machine using command line. Please see our documentation for the Robot to learn the exact commands :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for your answer,

I saw on your doc it’s possible by using a VM on VMware. But mine is on Azure Cloud, the robot is already launching in the same time the VM is powered on, but it’s not really launch since no human connect to the VM by RDP first.

So maybe it’s a specific problem with Azure and not UiPath ?

There should normally be no difference given the provider.

The requirements to connect your Robot user to Orchestrator are:

1. Robot service is running on the machine
  2. Each user has robot service configured with the Orchestrator URL and Robot machine key (this configuration can be done via command line)

Such configured machine will then be able to wait for Orchestrator to start the process on it.

I have the requirements as well, everything working fine after I connect by RDP one time before.

It’ll not make any problem if the VM running 24/24 because orchestrator can interract with it.

But for cost problem the VM is powered on and off each day so each day a human need to connect (and doing nothing else) by RDP, if not Orchestrator doesn’t see the robot online.

Is it Enterprise or a Community Edition?

Please see this article for more insights on the difference between the two robot services in these two versions:

In short, if you are using the Community Edition, then the Robot service works only when user is logged in to the machine (=VM was turned on and robot user is logged in to account).
This comes from the fact that the service is not installed for the entire machine, but for the specific user (thus, it will not work if the user logged out from their account)

Hi,

It’s the free trial of the enterprise edition.

So I think my problem is because like you said when I start the VM in the Azure Cloud it’s started in “global” and that’s why UiPath doesn’t work. It’ll only work when I connect to my session at the first time by RDP.
On my session on the VM I already place the .xaml file in the directory :

C:\Users\ Username \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

For connecting the robot without any click.

I need to find a way for making my session in priority connection on the VM if I want a auto-connect robot, true ?

Well, if your Robot Service is installed on the machine, then Orchestrator should RDP to the machine without an issue given you have an unattended license available for that Robot. It would then be able to start the process on the specific user.

I don’t think putting your XAML file in the Startup directory will really do anything.

Could you explain your scenario a bit more? Are you even using the Orchestrator or is your goal to schedule the process some other way? If so, it is not directly supported yet, but there are workarounds for that. These include running a windows schedule on a .bat file that calls the robot process directly (list of commands is available in our documentation).

Hello again @loginerror

I’ll explain the all process step by step.

I developed a robot on my personal computer, but this robot need to be launched every day at 9.00 am and I’m not at the office every day at 9.00 am.
So I transfert the robot on a VM (Windows Server) in Azure Cloud, this VM had 3 session, one for me, one for my manager and one for an administrator (But I think they never used their sessions).
This VM start every day at 8.30am and stop every day at 9.30am.
I used Orchestrator for scheduled the execution of the robot in the VM at 9.00am, it working fine, if (and only if) UiPath is launched on the VM and I connect at least one time by RDP to the VM (after I can close the RDP it working as well).
I put my .xaml file in the startup directory because I realized if the .xaml file is not launched on the VM the robot will be marked as “Disconnected” in Orchestrator. I try to do the same with the Robot Service, the shortcut in the directory and the Service properties is on “Automatic”.
But it’s always the same way, Orchestrator see the robot online only if I connect one time by RDP first.

So I have two lead for finding why it’s not working :

• It can be because the VM has 3 sessions so when I start the VM in Azure Cloud the VM is not start for my session and only mine is configurated for the robot so that’s why Orchestrator doesn’t see the robot ?
  • It can be because the OS is Windows Server (2019 DataCenter) and this make some problems with UiPath for launching the Robot Service at startup ?

Maybe it’s something else, tell me if you have an idea !

Thank you

@Ludo.F,
From the above description it seems that you are using Community Edition of Studio. That’s why your robot is not available to orchestrator after start. If it’s somehow Enterprise Edition you need to be sure that service related to robot is properly configured. The start of it should be delayed if not it can’t crash when trying to run after system startup.

Another case is if your machine is in domain? Normal standalone machines are not loading all services in the background. If machine is in domain and proper GPO were configured then you shouldn’t have this problem. Please check every detail.

@Pablito
By checking if I’m really in the Enterprise free trial Edition or Community Edition I realized Studio in VM was in Community Edition. But I was certain to license it by the freel trial key.
So I uninstall the Studio for reinstalling it and being sure it was in Enterprise Edition.
But, it happend a weird thing, when I powered off the VM and powered on again for checking if the problem was solved, the problem was not. And when I re-check the version of UiPath the Studio was in Community Edition.
I check if I have Community and Enterprise Edition installed but no I have only installed Enterprise Edition by UiPath Platform Installer.
So every time I reboot the VM, the Studio change to Community Edition [moderated] ahah

I also check the service of the UiPath Robot, last time I try to configure it in Automatic for testing, no change, so I re-configure it Automatice (Delayed Start)

I think the machine is in our domain because if I’m not on our network I can’t connect to it.
I’m not the person who care about GPO and other thing so I don’t know how to deal with it but if you know what the Robot need you can explain and I can transfer.

Cheers

Please check if your machine is not deployed from image/golden image. This means that there can be machine template from which machine is booted after each run. Images are write protected so each reboot will make machine to be restored to previous state. Then installation of EE need to be done on image. But those are just my thoughts.

How can I check that ?

Hi @Ludo.F

First, I wouldn’t worry about the license. It will be fixed in 2019.9. Right now the Cloud Orchestrator gives your Studio the Community license.

This shouldn’t matter, because it’s all about the robot service here.
If you installed your Studio and Robot from the Enterprise platform installer, then the service is machine wide and the communication should happen without an issue and your robot should auto-connect to Orchestrator.

Please see about this issue with your local IT team. You could provide them this article for reference:

It is indeed possible that some configuration on your machine is non-persistent and this is why it doesn’t automatically reconnect to Orchestrator.