Can Standard orchestrator switch to basic orchestrator if it fails?

I want a failover for my Orchestrator without using HAA. I want my Standard orchestrator to switch to Basic Orchestrator is anything like that possible?

1 Like

I believe that is not possible, not even in community

Can you give more details on what you want to achieve by doing so?

There might be an alternative to your requirement.

1 Like

Hi

Welcome to uipath forum

orchestrator type is a general term. There is only one Orchestrator, but the features only differ with subscriptions and commercial model.

Multi tenancy concept changes and the number of robot provision changes

I would suggest to connect with UiPath Sales team or technical team for better switch and offer

Cheers @User123987

I want a failover. That if my standard orchestrator fails the basic one can replace it. If you have anything even close to a solution I’d like to hear it as I am clueless.

well, technically the failover should ne at database level

If the orchestrator breaks the database backup csn help to get the data until last backup.

You can consider creating a backup routine at DB level or the Machine level at where DB is stored. That backup routine will keep last 15 days of data at a time in case of any disaster.

Below link will give you some pointers to consider.

1 Like

Yes, that would work fine as a fail-safe. If the orchestrator is down it would save my data until the last backup but the services would be down. I want my basic orchestrator to take its place so there would be no difference felt by the end-user. I want that without using HAA.

well I’m afraid it doesn’t seem to be the case currently.

You may get in touch with UiPath Technical Support Team, they can suggest you possible ways on this. If you have a enterprise license, raise a ticket

1 Like

Thank you for your time. Also, can you please tell me what was used for fail-over before UiPath published HAA?

Well, HAA has been there since 2019. I don’t think before there was any concept of failover management as such in UiPath (may be I’m wrong)

Give it a try to technical support team, let’s see if there’s an alternative.

I do suggest HAA in case of large deployment with the at load due to extremely high users.

1 Like

Prior to the High Availability Add-On (Which is a repackaged Redis Enterprise), UiPath Orchestrator supported Redis in the Web.config to keep multiple Orchestrator nodes in sync.

You can see this by looking at the old documentation for 2018.2 App Settings

Is there a specific reason you are trying to avoid Redis, or specifically HAA other than perhaps cost and additional infrastructure?

Multi-node Orchestrator deployments are supported by UiPath only if the UiPath High Availability Add-on is used.

Such deployments use the RESP (REdis Serialization Protocol) for communication, and thus can be configured using any solution implementing this protocol. The potential solutions tested (but not supported) by UiPath are:

If you are looking for a balanced cluster of Orchestrator Nodes it is important to keep the Orchestrator Nodes in Sync using RESP otherwise you can run into issues such as race conditions with Triggers/Queue Items, etc. or other symptoms such as Robot Heartbeats not registering with the Orchestrator Nodes.

If you are just looking for an Active/Standby setup, you could probably get away with not having Redis to sync so long as your SQL Server is in an Always Available Group / Mirrored to your Standby database and the Packages are also synced / accessible by both sides so long as both Orchestrator [clusters] were not started at the same time. But I could still see some data being lost if something went down during a job run or action. I would also imagine you’d want a Load-balancer or a proxy of sorts sitting in front of the Orchestrator so that the Robot would continue functioning and switch between but there would be a couple minute outage to turn the secondary group online and you’d need something to trigger Starting / Stopping IIS.