Can I Use Read Cell Activity To Output String Type Only?

I tried to read cell in excel when its a date time format, but when i try to output it to string, i have error “string converter cannot convert from system.datetime”. Can i just read the excel value as string with read cell or i can try different activity?

Hi,

Can you try to use UiPath.Core.GenericValue type as the following?

If we need string type, just use .ToString method, like genVar.ToString()

And we can manage its type using FormatValue activity.

https://docs.uipath.com/activities/docs/format-value

Regards,

@Hendaryie_Tjoeng

You can try this

variable.ToString(“dd.MM.yy”)

Hi @Hendaryie_Tjoeng

have you tried like this way :

1. Use Excel application scope activity

2. Use Read cell activity

You can check that in the GenericValue and use .Tostring to avoid the issue

Regards
Gokul

Hi @Hendaryie_Tjoeng

Whenever you read data from excel make sure you read it as uipath.code.GenericValue and once it is read you can cast it to whatever datatatype you need as when reading cell excel cel activity will cast the value to its base type …to avaoid the errors its better to read as genericValue

Cheers

thanks for the reply! its work when i change the data type to generic, but uipath read the data and auto convert it to date format, for example in excel it say 12/9/2022 wich 12 September 2022, but uipath read it as 9 December 2022, can i just get the string of 12/9/2022 as the value? sorry for my english hope you can understand

thanks for the reply! but i can’t use assign since the error exist early when i read the cell

thanks for the reply! its work when i use generic value as ouput but the value is auto generate to date format

Hi @Hendaryie_Tjoeng

You can try with this expression

DateTime.ParseExact("9 December 2022","d MMMM yyyy",System.Globalization.CultureInfo.InvariantCulture).ToString("dd/M/yyyy")

Regards
Gokul

thanks for the reply! yes i try it and its work but i still facing a problem there, since uipath auto format the cell as date format

Hi @Hendaryie_Tjoeng

Another approach

CDate("9 December 2022").ToString("dd/M/yyyy")

Regards
Gokul

Hi @Hendaryie_Tjoeng

You can try this to convert to required format.Use the following in assign

DateTime.ParseExact("9 December 2022","d MMMM yyyy",System.Globalization.CultureInfo.InvariantCulture).ToString("d/M/yyyy")

Cheers

but i have 2 different type of case, 1 case if the day is below 12, it will be date format. but when the day is above 12, it will be general format

Hi @Hendaryie_Tjoeng

When reading from exce as value is genericvalue type it will read any type of data from excel cell without issue.

Is the date format different for both scenarios?

Cheers

HI @Hendaryie_Tjoeng

Can you try with this expression

DateTime.ParseExact(YourInput.ToString,{"d MMMM yyyy","dd.MM.yyyy"}, System.Globalization.CultureInfo.InvariantCulture,System.Globalization.DateTimeStyles.None).ToString(“dd/M/yyyy”)

You can simply add the any number of date formats inside the {“”,“”} and the formats should be separated by comma

The above expression will look into array of string and choose the apt format as per the input string and convert them and return you the output of desired format

Regards
Gokul

i’m sorry but think i ruined the explanation. so this is my case, the default date format of the data is dd/MM/yyyy, but in the excel when the day is below 12, excel will missformated as MM/d/yyyy, for example in the excel it will show as 12/9/2022 but when i click in the value it will show as 9 December 2022. when i try to populate it as generic value it will show as 9 December 2022 wich is totally wrong.

i’m sorry but think i ruined the explanation. So this is my case, the default date format of the data is dd/MM/yyyy, but in the excel when the day is below 12, excel will missformated as MM/d/yyyy, for example in the excel it will show as 12/9/2022 but when i click in the value it will show as 9 December 2022. when i try to populate it as generic value it will show as 9 December 2022 wich is totally wrong.

Hi @Hendaryie_Tjoeng

Can you give try on this expression :

DateTime.ParseExact(YourInput.ToString,{"d MMMM yyyy"," MM/d/yyyy","dd/MM/yyyy"}, System.Globalization.CultureInfo.InvariantCulture,System.Globalization.DateTimeStyles.None).ToString(“dd/M/yyyy”)

Regards
Gokul

okay, i will try it, thank you for the reply and have a nice day, sorry for my bad english

1 Like

HI @Hendaryie_Tjoeng

You can simply add the any number of date formats inside the {“”,“”} and the formats should be separated by comma.

If not Kindly share the input format only

Regards
Gokul