Bot Migration to third party cloud

Hi,

I want to understand what are the challenges one would face or things to keep in mind while migrating a robot from on prem to third party cloud.

Can someone please help?

Thanks!

Hi @songoel,

The migration itself will be quite smooth as you only have to use a machine-template in modern folders and connect the robot cloud VM to it.

My background is in Azure so the following is what I would have looked for before migrating a robot / orchestrator to Azure

1. Your cloud VM would also have some planned and unplanned downtime so please consider having a contingency plan. For eaxmple, an important case is to be processed but robot is down.
  2. Most cloud providers charge your outbound traffic, so you will have to consider how your dispatcher process is setup and if the amount of data transfering from your robot to orchestrator is not going to drastically increase your consumption. If your orchestrator and robots are in the same region/avalilability zone this may not be a huge challenge.
  3. Storage: all bot VMs will need their dedicated storage disks, which you probably have evaluated
  4. Restart schedules. You will need to consider restaring VMs automatically to keep the system available for clean robot runs. This is not necessary, but a good to have protocol
  5. The robot communication with the orchestrator may be quite slower when compared to a onpremises connection. This can mean that your robot execution times will be slightly higher as well. (Here I am assuming you will have a hybrid-cloud setup with orchestrator onpremises and robot on a cloud VM).
  6. Data residency: if your robot is processing sensitive data then your country/company may also have a requirement that your robot and orchestrator must be located within national boundries. This will mean the Database will also have to reside in the same resource-group/region/availability zone.
  7. If your use Azure, then I would look at the prebuilt VMs for UiPath robot and UiPath orchestrator in Azure. This can drastically decrease the time need to update Orchestrator / robot when a new version is out.
  8. Have a resource/person within your organization available for you who is used the the cloud platform you are using. This is important as cloud can get complicated when your networking is not so easy to understand. Especially if you are using a hybrid cloud.
  9. Consider how you will use the “Scalability” aspect of a cloud platform. Your company wants to save resources so you have to also consider how in the future you will scale your robot (using scale sets for example) and create additional VMs to process your transactions.
  10. Related to Point 2. How you log will affect the data transfer between your resources (VM, Database, Orchestrator VM etc). So consider the logging levels and the retention policy for each resource.

This list was not exhaustive so I am sure you will find other advantages and disadvantages of migrating to the cloud.

Nonetheless, you are on the right track. Cloud / hybrid-cloud is the future for RPA. Later consumers will ask UiPath to reconsider their licensing schemes as they realize moving to cloud did not decrease their Opex with respect to yearly licenses. I hope UiPath is starting to work on this, I see glimpses of it here and there in their automation-suite release.

Goodluck!