Boost efficiency with bot-friendly utilities for File Explorer and SharePoint, simplifying file storage/archiving, attachment downloads, and seamless file sharing across user profiles and machines.
Across many sectors, it is very common to have use cases involving the use of File Explorer or SharePoint for :
- Storing/archiving of files
- Downloading of attachments from browser or applications
- Working across multiple user profiles and machines via file sharing services
These use cases often require many pre/post-requisite steps to ensure that the environment is bot-friendly. Due to the repetitive nature of these steps, we have created utilities/libraries for this purpose and have saved many hours of development as well as ensure quality and consistency across all our processes.
Some examples of these utilities are :
- Checking if certain file or folder paths are rooted, and if not, to append a user profile root to the file path (useful for cases where file and folder paths provided by users may or may not be rooted and if working across multiple user profiles, etc.)
- Validating if the default downloads folder is empty, and if not, archive the items within into a date-time stamped folder (useful for situations where downloading of attachments from browser or applications does not have the option of specifying folder or file paths)
- Uploading files to SharePoint - utility works for either file or folder uploads and if upload has failed, files/folders are copied to a predefined local destination to avoid data loss + custom error message to inform user on the error (useful for any process that requires work with SharePoint)
These workflows can be used as standalone bots or within more complex processes as long as the arguments required are provided (e.g. file/folder paths, default download path, etc.). Robust error handling is baked into these workflows to ensure that the utilities are watertight. This use case is useful for beginners and even intermediates to understand the importance of code reusability and consistency, and how to achieve them in long running workflows where file/folder paths are required to be validated constantly, where multiple downloads are happening from various sources, and uploading of files to SharePoint is a constant theme.
Industry categories for this use case: Customer Service, Finance, HR, Public Sector
Skill level required: Intermediate
UiPath Products that were used: UiPath Studio
Other applications that were used: File Explorer, SharePoint, OneDrive
Other resources: -
What is the top ROI driver for this use case?: Minimize risk and ensure compliance in operations