Announcing Studio Web Triggers - Process email attachments when a new email arrives

Announcing Studio Web Triggers - Process email attachments when a new email arrives

Studio Web now allows you to create event based automations with its built-in triggers. The use case below is an example of how you can use them :slight_smile:

Context: What mundane task are we to automate?

Alejandra works in the HR team, and her job is to ensure that received job applications are stored in cloud right away, once received.

She checks her email inbox a few times per day for new job applications and for each new email with a PDF attachments and a specific subject, she has to upload the attached files to OneDrive.

This can now be automated so that emails are processed immediately when received. In order to do so, we’ll follow the steps below.

Automation Steps

Step 1 - Configure trigger: New Email Received

Here, we will create a new project with an event based trigger. This will allow us to easily configure the conditions to start the automation directly in Studio Web.

Note how the New Email Received activity is automatically placed at the start of the workflow when you create an Event based automation.

With the new functionality, we can now configure a few extra filters to make sure that the emails that will trigger the automation are the ones we want. In this specific case, we will make sure that our emails that will start the automation are:

• in the Inbox folder
  • have an attachment
  • have ID15 in the subject of the email

Like so:

Step 2 - Extract the attachments from the email

Now, we will download the attachments from the target email. To do so, we will use the Download Email Attachments activity and add an additional filter to it to only download the PDF files:

Step 3 - Upload the files to the OneDrive location

After we got all the attachments, we will now use the Office 365 Upload Files activity to upload them to our target folder:

Step 4 - Archive the processed email

And lastly, we will archive the original email with the Archive Email activity:

Step 5 - Publishing our automation

To start monitoring our email Inbox, we now have to publish our process. The process will now begin to monitor our mailbox for new emails that match the condition and will then download and upload the attachments for us:

Note

The default polling time for triggers is 5 minutes. It can be manually configured (per connection) to as low as 1 minute.

Give it a try and let us know what you think below :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Looks cool. Will give it a try surely.

3 Likes

I will definitely try these new features, seem to be very useful.

2 Likes

Hi @loginerror !

That’s a great option :smile:
What I like:

• the trigger concept through mail in studio web, very useful in finance & accounting field for easy projects. I used it as I would use integration service: it triggers some of published processes. Eager to hear more on prices, to see if it’s worth to use studio web or integration service.
  • easy to change the type of trigger (manual, time, event)

What is missing in new email received activity: to have as for filter the color of the category (ex of scenario: if category is red then move to this folder)

2 Likes

This feature came faster than I expected! UiPath with the innovation speed again :rocket:

Are you planning to bring these design time triggers to Studio Desktop too, or will we stay with Integration Service?
Have you guys considered triggering QueueItems yet?

Thanks,
Lukas

1 Like

Hey @lukasziebold

We are actually actively working on your suggestions.

Stay tuned and keep the feedback coming :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Amazing, gonna try this soon !!! Thanks to UiPath Team

If I understand correctly, am I utilizing the bot license full time when I create this email trigger based automation? i.e. I cannot use the bot for any other tasks right?

1 Like

Hey @vkalra

See this topic, it should make it a bit more clear:

1 Like

Thanks @loginerror . I see that it mentions " It’s a Linux-based SaaS robot that instantly runs multiple API or web-based jobs concurrently, with no configuration required."

So, to clarify, this is like running multiple jobs concurrently and it is not tied to the traditional single unattended license ( which has UI interactions) that could be used only one at a time , right?

1 Like

Correct. Instead, there is now a concept of Robot Units that cover different ways of running your processes on the UiPath infrastructure (be it Cloud Robots, which are full on VM machines, or the serverless execution, which spawns pretty much when you need it to).

Thanks for the confirmation. This is a big push for enterprises to go for this model using the cloud Robots. It will also make organizations think of migrating to this model from the earlier traditional model if things work out.

1 Like