Alternative to visual scripting

Hi, I have been using Uipath studio for a year now and comes as a surprise that there is no product from you that does not use visual scripting. Given that the studio is using .Xaml files which I assume is an abstraction of .Net 4. Why is there no .Net alternative, where you can initiate activities as objects instead of calling them in the workflow. I find that Studio, visual scripting and workflows to be tedious and slow. Having the option to create a process that uses .Net with a special library from Uipath would be very nice way to make advanced scripts that are fast and reliable and you can create your own framework around.

Is my assumption wrong and this is far from how studio functions?
Are there any plans to make a studio version that does not use visual scripting and uses coding instead?

Sometimes I’d love to have the ability to do this as well.

Basically writing .NET code and using the activities like objects or functions would be great.

1 Like

Hi @hallgrimur,

I voted for this feature. In my opinion, there is a huge branding challenge when we think from UiPath’s perspective.

In any business the product responsible / business development personell have to ensure that the USP (Unique Selling Purpose) of the product is intact and that both old and new customers keep getting the same jargons / message. For UiPath it has clearly branded itself as low-code or a no-code platform and has recently been trying to get into other industries like data services and machine learning etc. all while trying to remain being a low-code, no-code platform.

If they now suddenly come out with a license for only developers and support robots on .net framework alone, they (product responsibles / business development) need to justify the scope of this market need to the management. The management will ask them these questions point blank:

• How many of these new licenses can we sell in the next 2 years?
  • What is the profit margin we can except from this new license? vs. What it will cost us to build and distribute this license?
  • How many developers would this benefit?
  • Does this statisfy our current USP?
  • Will this mean a faster execution of robot? / In short, will this compete with our other money making licenses?

Since UiPath is now a public company, the pressure to delivery on estimated profits year-on-year will be enormous. If any one of the above questions are not favourable, this feature / product will never see the day of light just because of business reasons, unfortunately.

As you mentioned, I think code integrations with studio is the closest they will ever come: Creating Activities With Code (uipath.com)

1 Like

I understand that it would be hard to predict, but you should compare this to other UI testers. There is a huge market for testing UI in web design. Being able to call a function that tests if the UI of your build is valid, would be amazing help for developers. In my department we are thinking about using studio to test these builds but its too much effort for little pay off, since the web designers are not the same as the RPA developers, but with this they could be that same individual.
I know there’s also the problem of how would this work and where would you be able to access it, and I was thinking of having it as an extension of Visual studio so that you could make selectors and such through there, but this is a long shot.

Hi @hallgrimur,

I cannot agree more. There will come a point where being totally low-code or no-code would miss a large part of the automation market.

I also think RPA platforms like Robocorp have excellent long-term strategies. Script based automation of UI elements, cross platform support, consumption based licensing and easy integration with existing AI / ML code. Their strategy of targeting python developers is excellent. They know they can anyday switch into a low-code platform if needed.

UiPath needs to rethink its strategy on many fronts if they want to acquire / retain customers.

On the API front Microsoft is slowly but steadily gearing up with Power Automate
On Licensing front newcomers with consumption based model and script based automation
Companies are now realizing RPA in its implementation is a software and needs to be resilient inorder to scale, but their path experiences with pilots may be not so great.

Really excited to see what UiPath / Blue Prism’s response will be in the next one year.

Have you tried our latest 21.6 community release? You are able to build workflows based on .NET 5. You can also select C# as your language.

Can you please explain more how would you like to use coding?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think what we’re imagining isn’t possible:

We’d like to use the activities that already exists (e.g. the UI automation activities) and use them in the code.

So we could have code like this

if (something > 20) 
{
    UiPath.Core.Activities.Click(myselector, {continueOnError= true; ... });
}

That way it’d be possible to leverage the power of the already created activites but use code which sometimes is cleaner and faster than no-code/low-code

1 Like