After upgrade 18.4.1 can open but not save workflow

After upgrading to latest stable version 18.4.1 I can open but not save a workflow. I get this error “Saving the document has failed!” when I try to save:

18.4.1+Branch.master.Sha.bc66386dd8e2160b6d35f31d5ce934a5aa4cf4bd

The value ‘[COBImage AND EndofQueueImage]’ contains significant white space(s) but “xml:space = preserve” cannot be written down on the member ‘{http://schemas.microsoft.com/netfx/2009/xaml/activities}DoWhile.Condition’.

Saving the document has failed!: System.Xaml.XamlXmlWriterException: The value ‘[COBImage AND EndofQueueImage]’ contains significant white space(s) but “xml:space = preserve” cannot be written down on the member ‘{http://schemas.microsoft.com/netfx/2009/xaml/activities}DoWhile.Condition’.
at System.Xaml.XamlXmlWriter.InMember.WriteXmlSpaceOrThrow(XamlXmlWriter writer, String value)
at System.Xaml.XamlXmlWriter.InMember.WriteValue(XamlXmlWriter writer, String value)
at System.Xaml.XamlXmlWriter.WriteValue(Object value)
at System.Xaml.XamlWriter.WriteNode(XamlReader reader)
at System.Xaml.XamlServices.Transform(XamlReader xamlReader, XamlWriter xamlWriter, Boolean closeWriter)
at System.Xaml.XamlServices.Save(XamlWriter writer, Object instance)
at System.Xaml.XamlServices.Save(XmlWriter writer, Object instance)
at System.Xaml.XamlServices.Save(Object instance)
at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.WorkflowHandling.DesignerWrapper.Save(String fileName) in D:\a\1\s\Studio\UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow\WorkflowHandling\DesignerWrapper.cs:line 652
at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Services.DesignerFileService.<>c__DisplayClass12_0.b__0() in D:\a\1\s\Studio\UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow\Services\DesignerFileService.cs:line 123
at UiPath.Studio.Shared.MVVM.Services.DispatcherExtensions.Invoke(Dispatcher dispatcher, Action action, Boolean onlyBeginInvokeWhenNoAccess) in D:\a\1\s\Studio\UiPath.Studio.Shared\MVVM\Services\Extensions\DispatcherExtensions.cs:line 121
at UiPath.Studio.Shared.MVVM.Services.DispatcherService.Invoke(Action action, Boolean onlyInvokeWhenNoAccess) in D:\a\1\s\Studio\UiPath.Studio.Shared\MVVM\Services\DispatcherService.cs:line 165
at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Services.DesignerFileService.Save(String fileName, String workflowId) in D:\a\1\s\Studio\UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow\Services\DesignerFileService.cs:line 122
at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Services.Interfaces.IDesignerFileService.Save(String fileName, String workflowId)
at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Services.DesignerFileServiceProxy.Save(String fileName, String workflowId) in D:\a\1\s\Studio\UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow\Services\Proxies\DesignerFileServiceProxy.cs:line 23
at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.WorkflowDocumentFactory.SaveAsync(IDocument item, SaveInformation info) in D:\a\1\s\Studio\UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow\Document\WorkflowDocumentFactory.cs:line 288
at UiPath.Studio.Shell.Services.PersistableServiceBase3.<OnSaveAsync>d__16.MoveNext() in D:\a\1\s\Studio\UiPath.Studio.Shell\Services\PersistableServiceBase.cs:line 194 --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at UiPath.Studio.Shell.Services.DocumentService.<OnSaveAsync>d__46.MoveNext() in D:\a\1\s\Studio\UiPath.Studio.Shell\Services\DocumentService.cs:line 362 --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown --- at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) at UiPath.Studio.Shell.Services.PersistableServiceBase3.d__11.MoveNext() in D:\a\1\s\Studio\UiPath.Studio.Shell\Services\PersistableServiceBase.cs:line 135
— End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at UiPath.Studio.Shell.Services.DocumentService.d__43.MoveNext() in D:\a\1\s\Studio\UiPath.Studio.Shell\Services\DocumentService.cs:line 322
— End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at UiPath.Studio.Shell.ViewModels.MainWindowViewModel.d__93.MoveNext() in D:\a\1\s\Studio\UiPath.Studio.Shell\ViewModels\MainWindowViewModel.cs:line 501, HResult -2146233088

I have tried to copy activities from one workflow to a new workflow, but half way through the new workflow starts giving the same error.

Hi @glenn.robinson

This makes me thing that the issue might be with a specific activity. Have you tried reinstalling the Studio to try and see if it will help?
Do you think it is possible to pin-point where does the issue come from by seeing which activity you copy over to the new workflow causes the error?

I did try to reinstall Studio but no change.

I have isolated to several activities, about 9 DoWhile activities that give this error whenever I attempt to cut, copy or save them -

Error received while attempting to cut / copy activity -

ERROR Detail -
18.4.1+Branch.master.Sha.bc66386dd8e2160b6d35f31d5ce934a5aa4cf4bd

The value ‘[PIImage AND EndofQueueImage]’ contains significant white space(s) but “xml:space = preserve” cannot be written down on the member ‘{http://schemas.microsoft.com/netfx/2009/xaml/activities}DoWhile.Condition’.

Error: System.Xaml.XamlXmlWriterException: The value ‘[PIImage AND EndofQueueImage]’ contains significant white space(s) but “xml:space = preserve” cannot be written down on the member ‘{http://schemas.microsoft.com/netfx/2009/xaml/activities}DoWhile.Condition’.

at System.Xaml.XamlXmlWriter.InMember.WriteXmlSpaceOrThrow(XamlXmlWriter writer, String value)

at System.Xaml.XamlXmlWriter.InMember.WriteValue(XamlXmlWriter writer, String value)

at System.Xaml.XamlXmlWriter.WriteValue(Object value)

at System.Xaml.XamlWriter.WriteNode(XamlReader reader)

at System.Xaml.XamlServices.Transform(XamlReader xamlReader, XamlWriter xamlWriter, Boolean closeWriter)

at System.Activities.Presentation.CutCopyPasteHelper.PutOnClipBoard(List1 selectedData, List1 metaData, FrameworkName targetFramework)

at System.Activities.Presentation.CutCopyPasteHelper.CutCopyOperation(List`1 modelItemsToCutCopy, EditingContext context, Boolean isCutOperation)

at System.Activities.Presentation.CutCopyPasteHelper.DoCopy(List`1 modelItemsToCopy, EditingContext context)

at System.Activities.Presentation.CutCopyPasteHelper.DoCopy(EditingContext context)

at System.Activities.Presentation.View.DesignerView.OnCopyCommandExecute(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Input.CommandBinding.OnExecuted(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.ExecuteCommandBinding(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e, CommandBinding commandBinding)

at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.FindCommandBinding(CommandBindingCollection commandBindings, Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e, ICommand command, Boolean execute)

at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.FindCommandBinding(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e, ICommand command, Boolean execute)

at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.OnExecuted(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.UIElement.OnExecutedThunk(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Input.ExecutedRoutedEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object target)

at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)

at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)

at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)

at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)

at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean trusted)

at System.Windows.Input.RoutedCommand.ExecuteImpl(Object parameter, IInputElement target, Boolean userInitiated)

at System.Windows.Input.RoutedCommand.ExecuteCore(Object parameter, IInputElement target, Boolean userInitiated)

at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecuteCommandSource(ICommandSource commandSource, Boolean userInitiated)

at System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.InvokeClickAfterRender(Object arg)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler), HResult -2146233088

I can successfully copy all activities inside of DoWhile activity but not the DoWhile its self. I have copied all workflow activities to new workflow, except for the 9 DoWhile activities that error on a copy. I have recreated these 9 DoWhile activities as a workaround for this workflow but now have same error occurring in a different workflow that was written before the update to 18.4.1.

I am looking for a root cause solution now that this same error is occuring in multiple workflows that were created before the 18.4.1 update.

Could I suggest something that might seem silly, but just to have it out of the way as an option?

Your error message says: The value ‘[PIImage AND EndofQueueImage]’ contains significant white space(s)

and it looks to me like you have double space in front and after the AND:

Could you confirm and replace those with a single space (maybe even after the condition)?

4 Likes

Yes, please suggest any reasonable thing.

It does sound silly to remove an extra space or two that was added to increase readability, but it WORKED!! I replaced the double spaces around ‘AND’ of all the activities identified to be an issue and I can now save & cut & copy as expected.

Thank you!

Is this a known issue / practice? The workflows worked before the update to 18.4.1, but did something happen in the translation from a previous version to the newer version? Would I expect this issue to occur in all of my other workflows that have not been upgraded to run with 18.4.1?

Thank you very much for your assistance!!

I confirmed it with our dev and double space should never be allowed in those types of expressions. As such, it should be considered a bug that it was allowed previously that was fixed in the new version.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.