Activate activity not working on the citrix clientside

Dear community,

I have been developing a workflow with the framework on a development server on which I have poweruser rights. All is working fine on the server but after publishing the script to the orchestrator and testing it as an attended robot. I notice it all going sideways.

for example the ‘activate activity’ does not recognise the application it is looking for.
The robot is continuing without the activate step but this causes my workflow to fail on other elements.
another example that I notice not working is interacting with the “IE”- notification bar. (after downloading a file)


I have already tried to work around the issue by clicking on the titlebar.
Opening the browsers via the run command and not via the robot itself. (this helped a bit but returned other issues in the workflow)


and since it’s a very large project/workflow I would love to find the reason why it is not working.
On the client only the robot is installed as a service. (citrix with floating license)


example of a log:
Raw message: Object
message: Activate: Timeout reached.
level: Error

and after that fails several errors untill he gets an exception ofcourse.

ActivateWindow.xaml (10.3 KB)

I created a small test flow for testing. Even this is not working on the citrix clients.
All help/ideas is welcome. (trying to find the cause and not a workarround as the issue is not only the activate activity)

created another test without IE. Opened calc and notepad and switched with activate. this is working on the citrix client without an issue…

I have very limited access to the explorer settings. but if I compare the settings from the server and the client all looks to be the same. (allow scripting is on)

I also tested a bit with other versions of the UiPath.UIAutomation.Activities. currently working with 2019.2

kind regards,
JoV

Hi @JoVansant,
Is your attended robot using same power user rights/account on the server?

no, it’s a user account so the test will be the same as the actual users that will be running the robot later on.

For Send Hotkey activities try to test with SendWindowsMessages property. For click activity you can use also SimulateType property so it will be typing even in backgroud.

1 Like

yes, correct but the problem is not the send hotkey that is all working fine.

It looks like the activate window can’t read the properties of the internet explorer and thus can’t find it’s selector.
This is only 1 of the issues I encounter then. It does still do some actions in the (correct) browser but some fail aswell…
I only spoke so far about the activate activity as this one is easy to recreate the issue.
Another one that I noticed a few times is the notification bar (the yellow-white) when you download a file. the robot is not interacting with that one ether. (while it does work on the server)

Yes those yellow bars in IE are terrible. Seems that Microsoft made them working not so well. I struggled with them couple times and sometimes only image related activities were working properly. Regarding Activate activity. I’m not sure if your selector is correct. For me it was also not working. I corrected it for my computer and it’s working. Here it is: image

I recreated the selectors as said
" <wnd app=‘iexplore.exe’ cls=‘IEFrame’ title=‘Google*’ /><wnd cls=‘Client Caption’ />"
and
" <wnd app=‘iexplore.exe’ cls=‘IEFrame’ title=‘Bing*’ /><wnd cls=‘Client Caption’ />"

and it’s working on the server but not on the client side.


Also in the full project I use the output fields from the browser to create a UiPath.Core.Browser element and try to activate it via this Element. so the selector shouldn’t be an issue.

I think it 's really an issue on the client’s settings or perhaps the UI Frameworks… (is there an option to specify what type of UIFramework to use?)

— in the UI Explorer you can change it via the UI Frameworks button
— when recording or selecting an item in the studio you can change it via f4
is there a way to change it for the running robot aswell??

I think those can be changed only during development stage. By this I mean Studio.

the type of UI framework is saved in the selector

example:
default:
<wnd app=‘iexplore.exe’ cls=‘IEFrame’ title=‘Google - Internet Explorer’ />
<wnd cls=‘LinksBandClass’ title=‘Favorites Bar’ />
<wnd cls=‘ToolbarWindow32’ title=‘Favorites Bar’ />
<ctrl name=‘Favorites Bar’ role=‘tool bar’ />
<ctrl name=‘Orchestrator’ role=‘push button’ />

AA:
<wnd app=‘iexplore.exe’ cls=‘IEFrame’ title=‘Google - Internet Explorer’ />
<ctrl name=‘Favorites Bar’ role=‘tool bar’ />
<ctrl name=‘Orchestrator’ role=‘push button’ />

UIA:
<wnd app=‘iexplore.exe’ cls=‘IEFrame’ title=‘Google - Internet Explorer’ />
<uia cls=‘ToolbarWindow32’ name=‘Favorites Bar’ />
<uia name=‘Orchestrator’ role=‘button’ />

so this is not helping for the issue :slight_smile:

worked arround the issue via simulateclicks/ simulateType.

disabled all the “activate” activities as they send errors.

extra info:

  • if you have the same issue do make sure you click on the correct browser before trying to typeinto. (typeinto will not find the element. )

thanks for the help @Pablito

2 Likes

@Pablito

Hi,

We have finally found the reason what was going wrong…
%UserProfile%.NUGET\PACKAGES\UIPATH\10.0.6957.21531\BUILD\UIPATH\FUNCSERVER_X64.EXE
was blocked from running within the citrix.

I hope this can help someone else aswell!

regards,
Jo

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this :heart:
I’m pretty sure it will help to someone!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.