Read File With Sequence File Name Order

Hi, I have to read file in folder, file name example is “FileName_Process_1.xlsx, FileName_Process_2.xlsx, FileName_Process_3.xlsx”, in the end of file name, have a sequence number, wich I want to use in order to process the file, how I can sort the sequence directly from For Each, Directory.GetFiles(path)? Thank you for reply and have a nice day!

@Hendaryie_Tjoeng

Please try this

Directory.GetFiles(Path).OrderBy(function(x) Cint(System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Match(x,"\d+(?=\.xlsx)")))

This will order by the number

cheers

Hi @Hendaryie_Tjoeng

You can get all the files from the folder & iterate through them in order by passing the index to the name. Hope the following flow helps.

Cheers

HI,

How about the following?

arrFiles = System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(yourPath).OrderBy(Function(f) CInt(System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Match(System.IO.Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(f),"\d+$").Value)).ToArray()

arrFiles is string array type.

Regards,

I have some problem

is I have to import something?

1 Like

@Hendaryie_Tjoeng

Sorry missed value while copying

Directory.GetFiles(Path).OrderBy(function(x) Cint(System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Match(x,"\d+(?=\.xlsx)").Value.ToString)).ToArray()

This should solve

cheers

Hi, thank you for reply, is there need to loop twice? I want to try read with order directly from Directory.GetFiles

Hi @Hendaryie_Tjoeng

In the above flow, you can see that we don’t have to loop twice. ‘fileArray’ variable which is of type ‘array of strings’ contains all the file name obtained from directory.getfiles(“Your directory name”). We are just iterating through each array element present in ‘fileArray’.

By this iteration, you can access every single file in the specified directory & can process them accordingly.

Cheers

Hi, thank you for reply, I have try it, and works, but do you mind to explain me how the order works? Thank you

Hi, thank you for reply, I have try it and works also, but do you mind to explain a bit about the shorting? thank you

1 Like

but how to make sure the iteration is order by last string of filename?

@Hendaryie_Tjoeng

So what I did is I extracted the number part from the file details using regular expressions
\d+(?=.xlsx) - This will match the number before .xlsx

And I converted extracted number to integer using cint

then in order by I gave the cint(extracted number) to do the ordering of the values returned

Hope this is clear

cheers

As you are passing the ‘index’ variable into the filename, which contains the number loop’s iteration, you can access the filename in order. This applies only if all files from ‘FileName_Process_1.xlsx’ to the ‘FileName_Process_[nth number].xlsx’ are present.

how if my file have 2 different number part? something like FileName_Process1_1, FileName_Process4_2 ? is this still works? I have try it myself and its work, but I not sure how its work

We replace the number part with ‘index’ then pass it to the file name?

@Hendaryie_Tjoeng

This format will work…as I am chekng the number immediately after .xlsx and if there ia any other character it does not read that

Cheers

Yes. In the first iteration, you’ll get FileName_Process_1.xlsx, in the second iteration FileName_Process_2.xlsx and so on.

Thank you very much for explanation, have a nice day!

1 Like

Thank you very much for explanation, have a nice day

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.