Workbook Write Range: Problem with .xls

Hi, I think this is a bug, as my workbook write range does not work as intended for .xls file. It will clear all the cells in that row before writing it.

Here is a screenshot of my activities & i/o file:
Figure 1: Build DataTable Activity
Figure 2: Workbook Write Range Activity

Figure 3: Input .xls file

Figure 4: Output .xls file

I want to write them while retaining the others. Hope UiPath could fix this. Thanks

Studio: Community Edition, v2022.4.3
Dependency: UiPath.Excel.Activities v2.12.3

Hey @azeem_rosli

Do you mean you want to append the row to the Excel file at the end ?

Thanks
#nK

No, I want to write from E2 to G2, but it clears the other cells at Row 2. But this only happens for .xls file while I’ve tested for .xlsx file & turned out the result is not the same; where it won’t clear the other cells.

Hey @azeem_rosli

Well first read the excel file and the using the assign activity at the particular position and then you write the range activity to write the data into excel.

Happy Learning
Achal Sharma

Hey!

In this case we can use Write cell activity with the help of counter variable…

This will write the data in to particular position…

Regards,
NaNi

Hi @Achal_Sharma & @THIRU_NANI,

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, there’s other way to do that which requires more steps. I actually try to report a bug (this is my first time too). I just want UiPath to know if this is a bug, I would like for them to fix it.

Regards,
Azeem

Hey @azeem_rosli

Did you try mentioning range in Write Range Activity and use ?

Thanks
#nK

Yes, I have tried & I got the same result. However, using Excel Write Range works fine.

Regards,
Azeem

You need to use the exact range which you were saying in the above thread.

That should help.

Thanks
#nK

I’m sorry, I mean, it doesn’t work for Workbook Write Range, even if I specify the range. For Excel Write Range, it works fine either it is specified or not.

How come, it’s weird both works in the same way.

Hello @azeem_rosli

Did you tried with .xls and .xlsx files with Workbook Write Range activity?
Also did you tried the same in Excel write range with both the files? With the same files.

Thanks

Yes, I’ve tried for both format. Different output, where it works fine for .xlsx.

Regards,
Azeem

Hey @azeem_rosli

As I can see in the screenshot you are using only the starting cell as address in the Write Range ?

Thanks
#nK

Hi, I’ve tried using starting cell & specifying range. Turned out to have similar output.

Regards,
Azeem

Thanks for reporting @azeem_rosli, we will look into it.

Quick requrst, if possible. Please attach a zip file of the dummy project that reproduces the issue for you.

Thank you again for reporting @azeem_rosli, the bug has been added to our tracking system and will be adressed in a future release.

1 Like

Hi @azeem_rosli ,

I’ve tried to repro this following the steps described here. On the latest version of the Excel package, I wasn’t able to repro this. Would you be able to try again and let us know if this happens? If it does, would you be able to share a sample workflow?

Thanks,
Raluca

Write Range XLS.zip (9.4 KB)

Attached is the sample workflow with the latest Excel dependencies and for Windows.

Regards,
Azeem