Dataservice units explanation

Hello in orchestrator i do see under licens that it says “Data service Units” and amount 2. Wondering what is this ? What its the units assign for, how do i use them etc. Could someone give me a short brief about how it works regarding the licens of Data service ?

Please check the licensing page. It states clearly, what a DSU is:

thanks

@AndyMenon do we need to assign data service to our licenses in order to see the data services units available?

@rikulsilva

Hi @Camila_Caldas ,

It should be visible to you already.

Login to Automation Cloud and:
Click the Admin Icon on the left navigation bar
Click the Licenses Tile on the right
Click Robots & Services Tab

And you should be able to see the DSU and the DSU limits. Here is a screen grab from the Automation Cloud CE.

I hope this helps.

thanks

1 Like

Yes, it was clear! I also saw that it’s possible to edit the data service in a tenant level.

@AndyMenon Do you know if it’s possible to see from which license is coming the data service units?

I hope I have understood your question correctly. The DSU is a Service license. It can be used not just with automations but with Apps and APIs as well.

If you want to know more, you can go to this page (I posted in my earlier response) and check the Services section on that page. You will see Units for all different types of Service Licenses.

thanks

1 Like

@AndyMenon You understand correctly! The point is that Im trying to understand if Im getting the correct available data service units according to the licenses that I have, but I found two different information in documentation. Im not sure if Im reading it in the correctly way.

https://docs.uipath.com/overview/other/latest/overview/service-licensing

https://docs.uipath.com/data-service/automation-cloud/latest/user-guide/license-allocation

Well the first link talks in general about Service Units from the angle of paying Customers.For instance, for DSUs this is the allocation:

Data Service Unitslink

• 1 Data Service Unit grants 1 GB of data storage, 5 GB of attachment storage, a maximum of 10K API calls per day.
  • 1 Data Service Unit is granted for each pair of user/unattended robot licenses purchased

The limits for 1 DSU for a customer purchasing an Unattended bot are higher than for Community users.

The second link makes that difference a bit more clear.

As community users we already have 1 free user- unattended license. Therefore we are assigned a DSU. But the limit on it is greatly reduced.

Example: Paying customers get 10K API calls while CE users get only 1K calls.

Update: Hit Send too soon! :confused:

Two other things to note from the second link are:

If you sign up for Enterprise Trial from your Community Instance of Automation Cloud your DSU is still limited to your Community plan.

But, if you create a new tenant when signing up for Enterprise trial you are allocated 1 DSU that has the higher limit just as a paid customer would.

Hello @AndyMenon

I get little confuse about Data Service Units. I meaning… Docs says some licenses include Data Service Unit like Automation Named User.

Let suppose that we have 10 Automation Name User licenses and 3 unattended licenses, based in UiPath docs we will have 13 Data Services units. My confuse is about how this licenses actually work.

When use unattended robots we can use only 3 licenses and each robots will consume only the own license ? Or robots can use other licenses like the ones that come with Automation Named user license ? In limitations terms i meaning (13gb storage space, for example)

In case build unattended robots, we need take in consideration only number os licenses as the number of unattended licenses ?

Hi @rikulsilva

I will try my best, but please do make sure to verify my responses. Also, a discussion with a UiPath licensed Professional is highly recommended.

This may need clarification . For example if you check out the UiPath Flex licensing for Attended Named User, you are granted a minimum # of named user licenses, but only 1 DSU is allocated. Therefore if all named users are on a single tenant my understanding is that they are limited to one DSU.

Obviously this might also mean that if your named users are being allocated to two different tenants on the same Automation Cloud instance, then 1 DSU won’t be sufficient because when you enable Data Service on a tenant you must assign at least 1 DSU to that tenant.

But if you look at the Flex Unattended license, one Unattended license is granted one 1 DSU.

If you check your user settings you have the ability to assign an Unattended robot to it. But the question is do you have enough runtime licences from which you can assign a runtime to this user?

Each unattended license allows a robot exe program on the host machine to run an unattended automation. If 6 runtimes are assigned to that machine then it has the capacity to run 6 unattended automations at the same time on that machine.

But again the number of runtimes cannot be more than the number assigned to that tenant. Basically, a runtime license is consumed when a machine is connected to the tenant. That means other machines have 1 less runtime that they can use. Once the machine disconnects from the tenant, that runtime license is returned back to the license bucket of that tenant.

A real world example is the number of treadmills in a gym. If there are only 2 treadmills and 3 users, one has to wait while 2 of them can use both tread mills at the same time.

Thanks

1 Like

@Jack_Miller
@ankit.saraf