A new way of governing: UiPath Automation Ops is now available in Public Preview!

UiPath Automation Ops is now available in Public Preview!

As automations became more engrained in a company’s day to day operations, we received more and more signs from our customers about the need to properly govern and manage their flows, to set up rules and frameworks in which all the people contributing to the automation process can safely develop and publish their work.

Where 3 years ago we had 2-3 people in one department developing in Studio, we now have hundreds of RPA developers and Citizen Developer working with Studio, StudioX, and Studio Pro, and publishing their work to Orchestrator and the Cloud.

A first attempt to govern these flows was our release of the Workflow Manager in the Studio family, that offered the ability to implement rules for people developing in the IDE. As our feedback from customers expanded, and more people started to work with these new features, we began thinking of a more complex feature set and a better interface for all these needs.

We are now happy to announce the launch of UiPath Automation Ops, our new product designed to help you better govern your automation deployments.

About

UiPath Automation Ops is a development operations tool with centralized governance capabilities that enables cloud administrators to define and deploy governance policies to organization employees. This helps create a safer environment, improves efficiency, and speeds up onboarding by allowing users to easily adopt their company’s best practices.

Quickstart guide

This feature is enabled in Preview for all our Community customers. To start using it, please follow the steps below.

1. Log into your Automation Cloud account on https://cloud.uipath.com (or, if you don’t have one, register here)
  2. Navigate to Admin > Automation Ops
  3. Check the Documentation guide - Introduction

For Enterprise customers this feature is hidden by default. To enable it, please access our Insider Preview Progam where we would be happy to receive your feedback on new features and products. You can find out more about this program by contacting the Insider team at Insider@UiPath.com

Heads-up

• UiPath Automation Ops currently supports 20.10.3+ versions of Studio, StudioX, and Studio Pro
  • Automation Ops is available to all Community Edition customers, and visible to the organization admins

Issues and Feedback

• We look forward to suggestions from our Community users on our forum. Just create a New Topic under UiPath Automation Ops
  • If you are an enterprise customer testing this as part of the Insider Preview Program please share your issues and suggestions on the Insider Portal.
  • For general questions about the Insider Program, please contact the Insider team at Insider@UiPath.com
20 Likes

Hi,

I get below while uploading the policy generated using ‘Generate Governance file’ option from studio

2 posts were split to a new topic: Could not find a machine with Unattended or NonProduction runtimes in the current folder (#2818)

Hi, @JuveriaSiddiqui - thank you for reporting this, can you please give us some details?

• what Studio version and profile were you using?
  • did you use the “Modern Policy” option or the “Classic Policy” when generating?

Thanks!

Hi @Paul_Boulescu

Please see the below info:

Thanks, @JuveriaSiddiqui - from what I can tell, I think you’re not signed in, and this is required in order to apply an Automation Ops policy. Can you please authenticate with Interactive Sign-In to one of your Automation Cloud tenants? After you do that, the “Generate Governance File” should transform into a dropdown with two options: “Classic Policy” and “Modern Policy”. Please let me know if my suggestion worked.

Hi @Paul_Boulescu ,

I have my assistant & studio connected to my orchestrator tenant using Machine key. In this case I could not see the drop down option for ‘Generate Governance File’.

As per your suggestion, I disconnected and connected using the sign in method, which gives me the option to generate the Classic and Modern policy.

Downloaded ‘Classic policy’, and upon trying to upload, it says, failed to upload policy.

Downloaded ‘Modern Policy’ and tested with → uipath.policy.StudioPro, works perfectly.

Few queries:

1. Please suggest as why would it not work when I am connected using machine key?

2. Why would classic policy update give a prompt saying failed to upload policy?

Thank you.

Hi @Paul_Boulescu ,

While I was creating the policy using Add option, there are few tabs like General, location etc and there are set parameters. But for creating policy, there can be some parameters very specific to the organizational requirements. It would be great if users could add certain parameters to the existing ones.

Hi, @JuveriaSiddiqui - I hope my answers will help:

1. connecting using the machine key won’t work because UiPath Automation Ops allows for user-level policy deployment settings, and therefore it expects the request for the policy to be made in-the-name of a user
  2. the JSON structure is different between the Classic and the Modern files, this was a technical decision, but as long as you use the Modern Policy things will work just fine
    Thanks!
1 Like

hey, @JuveriaSiddiqui - I am sorry, I am not sure I understand, can you please share some more details or an example? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Paul_Boulescu ,

Please see an example below:

I am trying to add a Policy (rather than uploading it). The name I use is Test, Product Studio Pro

Now as I start configuring the policy, I move to the tab Workflow Analyzer, there I can edit and add rules and counter → which is very helpful as I can add specific workflow analyzer rule as per my team requirement

Now I move to tab location → it has option for Project Path
But say now I want more specific items to add here in location tab: for example path where custom projects/libraries can be. Also project document path. So every organization has PDD , DSD kind of documents, I would also like to have a default location configured in the policy.

Also, in future I would like to add more configurable tabs. → This would be very helpful to create more customized policies based on team/organization’s requirement.

Hi @Paul_Boulescu,

1. I am able to create Policies (connected using Machine key) using Add option.
  2. Is it only applicable to be connected using Sign-in when I intend to use Upload option
  3. Please correct me, that if I create a policy using Upload option, and I get signed out or I disconnect and use Machine Key to connect, the policy is unaffected and active.

thanks, @JuveriaSiddiqui , now I understand. So, it seems you’re using the 20.10.2 template version, I encourage you to switch to the 20.10.3 one (from “Automation Ops / Settings” section) if your Studio version is 20.10.3+ and you will see that more settings are available in the “Location” tab.

The idea is that we plan to Governance capabilities with each product release (i.e. for UiPath Studio), and as the newly released version supports more governance settings, we will also add those settings in UiPath Automation Ops too.

The short answer is: what you see in UiPath Automation Ops is the governance that we support for the selected product version, but please send us such suggestions and we will do our best to extend the Governance in the future.

Thanks!

1 Like

hi, @JuveriaSiddiqui . So, if you refer to generating a policy from UiPath Studio, then you have to be authenticated using the Interactive Sign-in in order to be able to generate a Modern Policy (the one that can be uploaded to UiPath Automation Ops. If you generate a Classic Policy, then you won’t be able to upload it to UiPath Automation Ops.

In order to upload the Modern Policy to UiPath Automation Ops, it doesn’t matter if you’re authenticated or connected with your UiPath Studio on your machine, all you have to do is to be signed in on UiPath Automation Cloud and navigate to the Policies section.

Creating, uploading, or editing a policy in UiPath Automation Ops won’t have an effect on its deployment settings → these have to be configured separately in the “Deployment” tab. Once you assign one or more policies to different targets (i.e. tenants, groups, users), then, in order to have them consumed by users in these target tenants/groups/users, they have to be also authenticated using the Interactive Sign-In on their machines.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

1 Like

Thank you @Paul_Boulescu

1 Like

Hello, I still haven’t been able to find clear elements of how this could be enabled in an on-premises environment, not in the cloud.