18.3 Studio not saving packages and other 18.3 specific errors

Quick question, why is Stuido 18.3 not retaining packages downloaded from one session to another. So i start UIPath studio. Creating a blank project, downloading Outlook Activities in package manager. Then closing uipath, open it again create another new project and i now have to download the package all over again… so frustrating.

Also, there is no longer an update section so i only get the packages listed that needs an update, why would you remove that. now i have to scroll through a never ending list to find any package that needs an update.

On top of this our projects are on a mapped network drive, when i try and open any project is says i need to convert it, but then it fails with missing rights. But if I copy the same project folder to a local drive I can convert it just fine. Then after converting them i add them back to the mapped network drive and i can edit them directly from there again

2 Likes

Have you checked if you got an automatic update?
Are you using community edition?
If so, you will need to install again the packages.

it is community, it was automatic update. but the above is after the update. the 18.3 is not retaining the packages

Hi @Rasmus_J

Please refer to the Release Notes:
https://www.uipath.com/release-notes/uipath-v2018.3.0

Chapter Reliability & Change Management

Historically (pre 2018.3), dependencies were installed globally for the Studio. This made for a lot of overhead, where simple projects would keep long lists of dependencies for no reason.
Now, each project will indeed require more careful approach in selecting the packages you need.

Please see the topic here for a long discussion about the packages and dependencies:

It contains many good points from members of our team (and also touches on your second point about updating the packages and why it is not ideal to mass-update all of them).

You will also find a lot of information about the changes related to your concerns under this tag:

For your last point, we will look into any potential issues when converting a project that is on the mapped drive.

1 Like

I cannot convert project which uses custom activity. Despite it was installed in correct version I have to remove it manually from project.json, convert project and install custom activity package again for that project.

I strongly disagree with the way you have done it in the new version, and apparently also somewhat in the older version.

I’m not a programmer by trade, still learning, so I use the activities pane to find a solution to what i’m trying to do if i havn’t made a workflow file for it before that i can reuse. I install all packages and use the search function. The way to get that pane / tab populated so I can search in it is by installing packages. From what I now understand, is that when you install a package, the project adds it to its dependencies no matter if you use it or not in the actual project. This makes no sense at all. The activities list should be global and not the actual dependencies list, it should just be the options you have available and first when added to the actual process interface, the Main tab if we call it that, should it be added to the dependencies of the actual project.

I really do not get why you would make users have to reinstall packages for every project they do. I get it for the current and apparently also older versions because you have made the activities list the actual dependencies list, then i get it why you want users to install packages as they develop robots. But this is not user friendly and it is a huge waste of time in my opinion.

To be very clear. The activities list should be just that, a list of stuff that you have the option to do, and it has nothing to do with the actual project, only when you drag an activity out from that tab and onto the actual project the dependency list should update to include that activity.

The current way is nothing close to user friendly and forces the developer to have extensive knowledge on what is possible instead of just being able to search. or as a developer, now i have to search and see if there is a package that matches the name of what i’m working with. then i have to install it. After installation i have to find it and see if it contains the activity i’m after, instead of me just being able to install the packages i want to have, and then from project to project search in the activities if some thing matches what i want to do.

You might thing that 18.3 is great, but i’m rolling back and blocking any further updates, i think it is frustrating to use.

1 Like

hi @bdziedzi In the initial project sources (before migration) does your project.json file contain a dependency to the package that contains the custom activity? During migration, the only thing that is happening is that the old core package gets replaced with the new UI Automation and System packages, so if the initial project.json contains that package and Studio has access to it (is configured to contain the feed which contains the package in question), then migration should work out of the box. Please let me know.

Yes it contains a dependency, the project itself is working fine in old Studio (custom activity works 100% fine). Ive added local resources folder in studio settings and put there custom activity nukpkg (despite the fact it is also in packages where studio is installed). It throws an error during migration process:

22:22:42.6085 => [WARN] [UiPath.Studio.exe] [1] XamlMigration: removed reference UiPath.Core
22:22:42.6085 => [WARN] [UiPath.Studio.exe] [1] XamlMigration: removed reference UiPath.Core.Activities
22:22:42.6085 => [WARN] [UiPath.Studio.exe] [1] XamlMigration: added reference UiPath.System.Activities
22:22:43.0355 => [ERROR] [UiPath.Studio.exe] [1] Open Document Error: UiPath.Studio.Contracts.RecoverableException —>
Autofac.Core.DependencyResolutionException: An error occurred during the activation of a particular registration.
See the inner exception for details. Registration: Activator = WorkflowEditor (ReflectionActivator),
Services = [UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Editor.WorkflowEditor], Lifetime = Autofac.Core.Lifetime.CurrentScopeLifetime,
Sharing = None, Ownership = ExternallyOwned —> An exception was thrown while invoking the constructor
‘Void .ctor(UiPath.Studio.Contracts.IDocument, UiPath.Studio.Contracts.IDocumentService, UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Services.Interfaces.IDesignerFileService,
UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Services.Interfaces.IDesignerViewService)’ on type ‘WorkflowEditor’. —>
Could not load type ‘YesNoAuto’ from assembly ‘UiPath.Vision.Core, Version=1.0.6422.24648, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’.
(See inner exception for details.) (See inner exception for details.) —> Autofac.Core.DependencyResolutionException:
An exception was thrown while invoking the constructor ‘Void .ctor(UiPath.Studio.Contracts.IDocument, UiPath.Studio.Contracts.IDocumentService,
UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Services.Interfaces.IDesignerFileService, UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Services.Interfaces.IDesignerViewService)’ on type
‘WorkflowEditor’. —> Could not load type ‘YesNoAuto’ from assembly ‘UiPath.Vision.Core, Version=1.0.6422.24648, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’.
(See inner exception for details.) —> System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type ‘YesNoAuto’ from assembly ‘UiPath.Vision.Core, Version=1.0.6422.24648,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’.

It refers to UiPath.Vision.Core but if i remove the dependency for custom activity and do the merge it throws no error. Than I am installing custom activity again after migration and the whole workflow is working.

@Rasmus_J,

This is exactly the kind of feedback which we’re after. Sorry for your frustration but many thanks for your post. We have introduced a new mechanism for dependency management which encourages developers to use only those packages which are actually needed during runtime. Using runtime rules for each package dependency allows you to control even further with which version of a certain dependency is your process compatible.

While doing so, we realized that we will be introducing some UX shortcomings, but this increment (18.3) is part of a series of increments which we will be releasing gradually. Overcoming this UX problem will be a topic for a future release. Your proposal will be taken into consideration. Best, Mircea

Sounds good. The problem regarding mapped network drive is getting bigger.

I cannot create or update processes or library files if they are located on network drive, not even after the converison to 18.3.0. where i moved them all to a local drive, converted them and then put them back on the network drive.
I tried to create a new library and when i choose location on the network and pressed create, it gave me “Access to the path is denied”. It did create the files and all on the drive, it just doesn’t open it and it throws the below error.

Cannot create new item: UiPath.Studio.Contracts.RecoverableException —> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError()
at System.IO.File.InternalReplace(String sourceFileName, String destinationFileName, String destinationBackupFileName, Boolean ignoreMetadataErrors)
at System.IO.File.Replace(String sourceFileName, String destinationFileName, String destinationBackupFileName)
at System.IO.Abstractions.FileWrapper.Replace(String sourceFileName, String destinationFileName, String destinationBackupFileName)
at UiPath.Project.WorkflowProjectRepository.Save(IWorkflowProject project, String path)
at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Project.WorkflowProjectModelFactory.SaveAsync(IProject item, SaveInformation info)
at UiPath.Studio.Plugin.Workflow.Project.WorkflowProjectModelFactory.d__32.MoveNext()
— End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at UiPath.Studio.Shell.Services.PersistableServiceBase2.<OnNewAsync>d__21.MoveNext() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at UiPath.Studio.Shell.Services.PersistableServiceBase2.d__21.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at UiPath.Studio.Shell.Services.ProjectService.d__38.MoveNext()
at UiPath.Studio.Shell.Services.PersistableServiceBase`2.d__11.MoveNext()
at UiPath.Studio.Shell.Services.OpenCloseCommandsService.d__17.MoveNext()
at UiPath.Studio.Shell.ViewModels.StartPageViewModel.d__23.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.b__6_0(Object state)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler), HResult -2146233088

Hi, Any timeframe for a fix for the mapped drive issue? Still cannot save library files og projects on mapped network drives

@Rasmus_J Happy to say that we’re launching “Save as template” in 18.4 - it is already in beta so go check it out if you have time. The network drive issue is still in work. We’ll keep you updated.

1 Like